Wednesday, August 12, 2015

No Quarter, But Some Rest

Things are better today. Finally a bit sleep fell my way last night as I was only up once. I feel good! 

Like I mentioned the other day, my daily stress had dropped off to nearly nothing since we thought the house is pretty much sold, keyword, thought. I'm still confident the house will close on the first, but the buyers decided they now want an inspection and that's taking place on Friday. The house is old--the main area started out as a hunting cabin and was probably built around 1935. In the mid 60's dad added a two story addition with four bedrooms. They've looked at it and it's being sold "as-is", which they do know and it does need some work, which they know. But you just never know what's going to happen so the gut-wrenching stress is back until the results are in. 

On a positive note, I finished the 7th book in the John Carter of Mars series last night. Now I'm on the hunt for the final four books at a price I'm willing to pay. 

On the down side, I have several Alzheimer's articles to read, three cigar reviews that need to be written, some coffee's to review and I'm still about 30 committed cigars behind. Perhaps I can find--or make-- the time to fit something in later today. 

Monday, Mom nearly escaped on me, well she wasn't really trying to escape but she put herself in a precarious situation. It's amazing at times just how quietly she can move around the house and how quickly she can do it when she wants to. 

I'd heard Mom get up, come out of her room and head down the hall sounding like a herd of elk as she shuffled along. I'd thought she'd went into the bathroom, but a few seconds later I heard someone moving around on the landing at the front door, then open the door. Since I'd heard Mom stop at the bathroom, or at least thought she had, I didn't pay much attention until after several seconds the door didn't close. With that I got up to see what was going on and found Mom at the bottom of the stairs peering out the door.

I went down to the door and asked Mom what she was doing. She told me that someone was knocking on the door and she was just answering the door. I explained to her that no one had been knocking. Of course this pissed her off because she "had" heard someone knocking. Finally I convinced, and bribed  her with breakfast, that there was no one at the door and we headed back up the stairs. To get back up the stairs, she needed help to keep her balance, it amazes me that she made it down the stairs without  making a sound.

Since Monday we have spent a great deal of time thinking of ways to contain Mom at night ranging from motion sensors to baby gates. Motion sensors sound like a good idea, if I can find one that will send an alert to my phone, but I fear the cats will set them off way more often than Mom will. I guess the first logical choice will be trying to restrict her to her bedroom the hall and the bathroom with a baby gate.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on this please leave a comment. Heck leave a comment anyway, just say  hello or what ever. Plus please share these posts. Every 67 seconds someone develops Alzheimer's. Sooner or later everyone will know someone that knows someone with Alzheimer's and perhaps this blog can help.

Have a great day and thanks again for reading!

Bean Box Coffee Subscription


Post a Comment